IRS Exemptions for Dependents: IRS Publication 501.

I've been asked a couple of times about the applicability of the IRS Exemptions for Dependents. If you support your parents or siblings during their extended stays, you might be able to exempt up to $3,900 per person if you and your qualifying relatives meet the IRS "Rules for Claiming an Exemption for a Dependent". You may find your answers at the IRS Publication 501 at You may also find helpful the IRS questionnaire available at In short, the insert from the IRS Publication 501: "(1) You cannot claim any dependents if you, or your spouse (if filing jointly), could be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer; (2) You cannot claim a married person who files a joint return as a dependent unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid; (3) You cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico; (4) You cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is your qualifying child or qualifying relative." To read more about the applicable test rules, follow this link Exemptions for Dependents.
Categories: Tax Blog

For More Information or to Schedule a Free Phone Evaluation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Unsure about making an appointment?
I offer a free 15-minute phone evaluation to get to know you and your needs.

Olga Vasilyevna GuzhvaClients’ ChoiceAward 2019 Olga Vasilyevna GuzhvaReviewsout of 23 reviews 9.6Olga Vasilyevna Guzhva

View My Avvo Resources